- Parent Category: Retail Tips
Run a Deal of the Day, Do a Giveaway, and Have Fun
Tip #374 - When the Boss is Away…
Dear Tip of the Weeker,
It's been a busy summer, and Bob and Susan have left for the far reaches of Canada to take a much deserved vacation. No phone, no internet, just relaxation.
To celebrate their vacation, we're going to take a Tip from our friend Paula Tsorbias at The Cozy Nest in New Hampshire.
The employees at the Cozy Nest had a "Boss is Away Sale," and just look what great results they had when they were given permission to go wild, have fun, and create sales in her absence!
I asked my employees if they would like to plan a 'While the cat is away the mice will play,' promotion while I was at the Retail Success Summit and that I would trust them to handle it and didn't want to know anything about it.
It was a huge success! They had a 237% gain over last year.
Here's what Paula's team did for their event:
- Wore little glittery mouse ears with a pink bow the whole time.
- Sent out a daily e-mail about the deal of the day (borrowed idea from the 12 Days of Christmas.)
- Created a big poster for the customers to sign and leave me a message.
- Had a poster with a thermometer that they filled in every day to show how they were progressing.
- Invited neighboring businesses to send their customers over and gave them an extra 10% off, plus the business that sent the most people got a gift certificate.
- Had a raffle for one gift basket worth $300 (filled with clearance items.)
- Held a daily raffle for $25 gift certificates.
I gave them a hefty sales goal and if they met it, I'd give them each a day off with pay. They met their goal! They had a blast and were really proud of their event; the customers also had a blast.
I had a friend drive by and they told me it was like a feeding frenzy and the parking lot was a mob scene. I am sure that created some buzz around town, plus it brought in some new customers that wanted to see what was going on!
~Paula Tsorbias,The Cozy Nest, Somersworth, NH
Great job, Paula! Sounds like your employees cleaned house, and you cleaned up at the same time!
Wishing you great sales and lots of fun,